The Packard company is actually named after the street, Packard Avenue, The factory was located on. In 1932 Homer Capehart rented the closed Packard Piano Company and developed a new and innovative record mechanism. This was the “Simplex mechanism”. HE sold the mechanism to The Rudolph Wurlitzer company and began to work for Wurlitzer.
Capehart Left Wurlitzer as head salesman in 1939, acquired the Packard piano company and started with producing a universal wallbox called the Play-Mor Butler. They produced two beautiful jukeboxes the Pla-Mor 7 and the Manhattan. Prior to the war Packard made remote wall speakers all dubbed as the “Packard Play-Mor Music System”.
Packard Manufacturing Company was sold to The Rudolph Wurlitzer Company in 1951.